Assets - webserver/php timeouts

Hi

I've having trouble both managing my asset images in Admin and select assets for inclusion in the RTE.

I've got about 4000 images PDFs.

If I click on Assets in Admin, I eventually get a "The connection has timed out" browser error. If I click the Image toolbar icon on the rich text editor, I either get the same error or an Error 500 (website logs show a timeout for these).

I get the same problem on the live 1and1 hosted site and on my local (very powerful) testbed.

I realise that extending the php.ini timeout might fix this locally, it's not an option for the live site.

I'm guessing the PHP is trawling the assets to build a list to present.

Any suggestions on resolving this? Is there a way to cache this data to speed up the lookups?

Cheers...

Comments

• edited 4:18PM
    Unfortunately there currently isn't a way to cache the data. If your assets can be broken into sub folders, I would try doing that and then in your models or layouts, specify the "folder" parameter in your form_fields method so you only target that particular sub folder.
    Thanks. Your suggestion is certainly viable for designing a new site. Unfortunately, the site in question is a migration from a static HTML based one and no previous thought had been put into organising the assets sensibly.

I have other potential site conversions where even a valid set of assets will probably cause similar problems so I don't think this issue will go away.

I'll see if I can come up with some ideas and report back... eg. for Admin->Site->Assets, we could employ cke's cousin, ckfinder...
    OK. Look forward to hearing what you find out.
    Well, now the easy one of the jobs is done.

This plugin swaps out the native Site->Assets manager and uses CKFinder instead.

https://github.com/croaker000/ckf_assets

The problem of selecting an asset from a page's rich text editor still exists. I'll work on that next...
    I think I need a little help here to get started on over-riding the select dialog. It looks like I need to make changes to ./fuel/modules/fuel/controllers/assets.php

Is it possible to tell fuel to ignore that file and use mine instead via a configuration or do I need to physically overwrite that file to change the select function?

TIA
    You could try using a route.
    oooh. Good idea. Should have thought of that myself...
    My repo at https://github.com/croaker000/ckf_assets now supports a CKFinder image picker.
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.
    @almostcompletely can you help me with how to open a specific directory when the ck asset manager opens.

I have tinkered with the ckfassets.js - ckf_browseserver(path) to do something. I even tried changing the core ckfinder_php5.php file. Still no luck.

I am filling sub_folder attribute in the asset type input. I would like to open that subfolder in the assets/images folder when the ckfinder window opens.
    OK found it myself. I was looking at the wrong documentation.
  • Cool. How did you did you do it in the end? There's various ways. I usually use a cookie if I need a specific directory for a specific field.
    I passed the sub-folder parameter from the asset field to the javascript function, which is called on the SELECT click event. From there i simply set the startupPath to the subfolder value.