Installing fuelcms as peer instance to an existing CI 2 installation.

edited April 2013 in Installation
I have an existing production CI 2 installation that is heavy in custom modules, etc. However, it does not conrol the front end public facing pages. Currently, the public facing pages are static. Once the users log in via a static poage posting to the current auth module it redirects to the current CI installation and goes from there.

Once logged in it is all custom proprietary modules, no blogs, forums, etc. All custom business logic and data tables, etc.

The current CI 2.0 installation uses Modular Extensions - HMVC application/third_party/MX/Modules.php.

The requirement has come in to provide CMS abilities for the business owner to control the content of the front end public facing content areas.

The current document root structure is:

assets
application
images
system
public facing static pages all here
index.php

Considering the current CI 2 install has its own auth and is very heavy with custom modules, I would like to keep the 2 worlds seperate to minimize collisions and to keep the custom back end application database and modules protected.

Can I simply install fuel in a doc root folder with its own database and run independlty to allow CMS abilities on the public facing content areas? Leave the back end alone?

Example:

assets
application
fuel
images
system
public facing static pages all here
index.php

I realize this would result in 2 CI installs, fuel CMS to manage front end content areas and the current custom 2.0 CI to process proprietary back end.

I would need to integrate fuel CMS to the existing CI login auth process, etc.

I have set up a unique database for fuel cms to use to keep content data seperate from proprietary business data, etc.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Comments

• edited 7:01PM
    Where would the index.php bootstrap file point to... to the fuel installation or the existing CI installation? If you are doing something in the .htaccess or index.php file to route things through a single bootstrap, it's possible that you could get away with just one codeigniter (system) folder. FUEL's CI folder is located in the fuel/codeigniter folder and is configured in the index.php bootstrap. FUEL leaves that folder alone but does have overwrites for certain classes mostly to add functionality.
    The bootstrap index.php currently points to the existing CI installation and routes to the
    auth login page. The .htaccess does a rewrite to the index.php.

Evaluating the fuel cms files, I do not see a fuel CI folder in fuel/codeigniter. Rather I see a fuel/modules/fuel folder and a application/third_part/fuel folder.

Would it be as simple as dropping these folders into the existing CI installation. How would the fuel auth work with that scenario?
    There are a few other things in the application directory like the extended core, library, and helper files as well as the config files (e.g. MY_fuel.php, MY_fuel_layouts.php MY_fuel_modules.php). The core fuel files are in the fuel/modules/fuel folder.

What about doing it the other way. Dropping your existing code into the fuel/application folder and the fuel/modules folder?
    I inherited this project some time ago. The initial development team used CI , however deviated in so many ways it is not a clean install. They implemented a custom modules, users, roles and functions solution which really would cause extensive work and man hours to get working within fuel.

I think the best approach is simply to use a standalone instanace of fuel for the public facing site pages and keep the existing CI custom application a stand alone CI.

I will let you know if I find a better way but for now I think I am going to move the custom CI appliaction index bootstrap into the custom CI application home and install fuel for the font end.