FuelCMS + Go Cart (CI 2 eCommerce platform)

edited January 2012 in Installation
Hey guys, do you know "Go Cart" already? It's a really neat open-source ecommerce/shopping cart system built on CodeIgniter, take a look here http://codeigniter.com/news/gocart
I'd like to hear from the FUEL users if they've managed to use it alongside a Fuel installation, and if so how. Ultimately, I'm thinking about trying to make an advanced module out of GoCart's great libraries and models... but that might be a bit far fetched. Or maybe, find out a solution to have Fuel play nice with GC in a "parallel" installation (say, you put Go Cart in a subfolder on the same server) where for example you might be able to manage parts of GC's data like products etc directly within Fuel's backend.

Anyway, is there anybody else here interested in sharing some knowledge about how to achieve this? I think everybody would love having an easy to install Fuel module for online shops, am I wrong? :)

Comments

• edited 12:08PM
    I've only briefly looked at it but would would be interested in what you find. We feel your pain with regards to the shopping module and have done various custom versions for clients but nothing generic enough for public consumption. We have have it on our long list but need to roll out a few things first.
    I'm in the process of building a site with Go Cart now. I started to try to implement it into Fuel but I didn't have enough time. I found it was easy enough to modify Go Cart for my needs. It would make a great advanced module addition. If you could strip out Go Carts Banners, Boxes and Pages and let Fuel handle that part, it would combine the best of both. Fuel is awesome by the way!
    Word!
    Unfortunately it turned out to be a little harder than i initially thought, so for now I guess i'll use gocart asides. Maybe one day...
    Pierlo, thanks for the info. Is it definitely a no-go at the moment? What problems did you have? I'm trying to setup some packages for clients and really want to have a quick way to chuck out a shopping cart. Go Cart looks useful for that.
    yeah well it really depends on what kind of integration you're after, really. Anyway I guess I'll post some more info here in the next weeks... a project I'm working on requires an e-commerce solution and this time i really need to make this hybrid beast work :)
    what about the hybrid beast? Did you manage to combine both worlds?
    yes and no. In the end I had to resort creating a semi-hybrid solution (ie including useful bits of GoCart into a sort of FuelCMS-compatible module) but it's more of a hacky solution than anything worth sharing really... and to be honest I wouldn't do it again. I had some pretty horrible deadlines to deal with, so I had no choice, but the result (while working) was pretty crappy...