Help building top menu

edited June 2012 in News & Announcements
Hello,

I need to build my top menu where the "topmenu" id belongs to a div.

The a tag inside the li has a in it.

How do I enter code here so you can see what I mean?

How do I change the container_tag to be the div and not the ul?
How do I add the inside the link?

I read the menu class and the fuel_nav() user guide but can't understand how can I do what I need.

Another thing I need is a side menu that has no connection to the top menu.

For example:
Top menu: Home - About - Contact

Side Menu:
Item A
Item B
Item C
Item D

Not sure how do I create that as well.

Can someone help please?

Comments

• edited 11:55AM
    You can wrap your code with a <code> tag to have it appear.

To use the fuel_nav function, you pass the parameter to it as a key/value associative array. With regards to your menu, can you just wrap the fuel_nav with your div like so?
    <div id="topmenu"><?=fuel_nav(.....)?></div>
    Additionally, there is a "container_tag" parameter you can specify.

If you want a side menu that has no connection, you can create a different menu group in the CMS or if you are using the static _variables/nav.php file, you can create a different variable ($e.g. $sidenav) and use the "var" parameter to specify to use that like so:
    // USING CMS <div id="topmenu"><?=fuel_nav(array('group_id' => 'sidenav'))?></div>
    // USING _variables/nav.php file <div id="topmenu"><?=fuel_nav(array('var' => 'sidenav'))?></div>
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks admin,

I still don't understand a few things:

1. How do I build something like this (How do I add the span tag into the a tag?):

<div id="topmenu"> <ul> <li><a href="home"><span>Home</span></a></li> <li><a href="postanad"><span>Post an Ad</span></a></li> <li><a href="contact"><span>Contact Us</span></a></li> </ul> </div><!-- End topmenu--> <div id="topmenu"><?=fuel_nav(What do I put here?)?></div>

2. "Additionally, there is a "container_tag" parameter you can specify."
    Yes, but when I specify container_tag=>'tompmenu' it puts the id in the ul tag and not in the div tag.

Thanks for the help.
    If you need a span tag injected, you can use the "pre_render_func" parameter, which takes a string value of the name of a function in which to do further processing:
    function my_menu_func($label){ return = '<span>'.$label.'</span>'; }
    The container tag is the tag used to encapsulate the list items and defaults to the "ul" tag.

Out of curiosity, what is the reason for the span tags?
    Hi,

I am using a tabbed css menu, the span has a background image of the left side of each menu item's tab. (Hope it makes sense ;) )

I am sorry admin, but where do I put this function?

Can you maybe just give me an example of the whole code to build the menu I need? That will help me understand better.

I hope my questions don't make you lose hair, but the problem is, I am starting to lose some... lol
  • edited June 2012
    Sure. The function can be put anywhere and would recommend perhaps in your fuel/application/helpers/my_helper.php file which is meant for site specific functions and is automatically loaded:
    // can exist in a helper function my_menu_func($label){ return '<span>'.$label.'</span>'; }
    Then in your code, you can do the following:
    // USING CMS <div id="topmenu"><?=fuel_nav(array('group_id' => 'sidenav', 'pre_render_func' => 'my_menu_func'))?></div> // USING _variables/nav.php file targeting the $sidenav variable in that file <div id="topmenu"><?=fuel_nav(array('var' => 'sidenav', 'pre_render_func' => 'my_menu_func'))?></div>
    Don't worry about the hair... I have 2 kids that got that ball rolling a while ago.
  • edited June 2012
    Hallelujah, that helped.

The only thing I needed to chagne is in the function:
    return '<span>..
    and not
    return = '<span>...

And thank you for the fish.... ;)
    Ahh yes... I've removed that above to avoid confusion.
    Good to know! Thanks David. Ran into this the other day but opted for css3 rounded borders instead.. IE's gone right?!
    IE's gone? REALLY? Is it snowing in Hell? LOL

I live in a small artists town in South Africa, IE is alive and kicking here :(