Extending Fuel_base_controller with custom left_sidebar nav sorting

edited June 2011 in Feature Requests
Hey there,
i'm new to FuelCMS but already in love. It's a great project and it's amazing you open-sourced it. Too bad there isn't an in-depth tutorial on creating advanced modules, i'm having a hard time figuring it all out alone...

Anyway, here's one question for you.

What i'm after: to be able to change the order in which the "modules" are sorted in the admin navigation sidebar.
Why: because i'd love to find my newly created advanced module before the Blog one, and not after everything else.
How i did it: I've basically added a method to the Fuel_base_controller called _nav_sort and added a config item in the fuel module config file that contains the module order (an array like : 'site', 'blog', 'module_1', 'module_2' etc)

But i'm 100% sure i'm doing it wrong. The thing is, can i "extend" or override the _nav() method of the Fuel_base_controller without hacking it?

Thanks a lot, you rock.

Comments

• edited 6:33AM
    To change the order of the nav, you can use your fuel/application/config/MY_fuel.php file and overwrite the $config['nav'] value. To do that, I would first go to the fuel/modules/fuel/config/fuel.php configuration file and copy the values of the $config['nav'] starting around line 222 and going to line 249 or so and pasting it in your MY_fuel.php file. Then you can rearrange the order of that array to your liking.
    so you mean i should copy this from modules/fuel/config/fuel.php

$config['nav']['site'] = array(
    'dashboard' => lang('module_dashboard'),
    'pages' => lang('module_pages'),
    'blocks' => lang('module_blocks'),
    'navigation' => lang('module_navigation'),
    'assets' => lang('module_assets'),
    'sitevariables' => lang('module_sitevariables')
    );

and paste it inside MY_fuel.php ?
    I tried this but this only applies to what's inside the "Site" tab ... not what i'm after! I want to re-order the modules like "BLOG" or "TOOLS" !
    Actually all the $config['nav'] values (to line 249 or so). Then reorder it how you want.
    Thanks.

You also need to reset the 'nav' array, otherwise you module will still be at the end of the array. So MY_fuel.php goes like that:

$config['nav'] = array();
    $config['nav']['site'] = array(...)
    $config['nav']['MY_ADVANCED_MODULE'] = array();
    $config['nav']['manage'] = array(...);
    Thanks for this! Would be great in the advanced user guide.