Home page through the CMS

edited September 2011 in Feature Requests
Is it possible to create a editable home page through the CMS. I have seen the post about creating a controller to take care of this. Is that the best way?

Comments

• edited 9:22AM
    sure... You can login to the admin and go to the pages module. Click the "Create" button and type in "home" for the location name.
    Thanks for the reply. That's worked perfectly.

Is that anywhere in the documentation? If not is there a way we can contribute to the documentation?
    Not in an obvious spot. When you mouse over the "Location" field label it says it.

Contributions are always welcome. The easiest way is to do a pull request in GitHub:
    http://help.github.com/send-pull-requests/

The fuel/modules/user_guide module contains the same documentation as what is in the site so feel free to make edits there and then send in your pull requests.
    The home page that I created through the CMS uses the main.php layout file. This in turns loads a block using

<?php $this->load->view('_blocks/second_menu'); ?>

The block second menu works fine when loaded in a regular controller and uses the $CI instance as I asked about here http://www.getfuelcms.com/forums/discussion/442/undefined-variable:-ci/#Item_4

On the homepage though I get the error

Thanks for all the help so far, I do feel like I'm bombarding you with questions.
    Did you try using $CI instead of $this to load the second_menu:

<?php $CI->load->view('_blocks/second_menu'); ?>

Alternatively, there is a CI() function for those cases where the $CI variable doesn't exists and you want to save a line of code by not declaring $CI =& get_instance(); you can call like this:

<?php CI()->load->view('_blocks/second_menu'); ?>

For whatever reason, I rarely used this method, but does make it a little more convenient.
    I tried both combinations but I'm still getting the same error.

Thanks for the reply.
    Have you loaded the 'second_model' yet?
    $CI->load->model('second_model'))