Note the upgraded forum! If you are experiencing issues logging in, you may need to reset your password which should send an email. If the email doesn't arrive, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

Using the application/views/_layouts/main.php in advanced modules

edited June 4 in Installation

Is there a way of using the application folder layouts other than repeating code inside an advanced module's layouts / views?

Comments

• What's the code you are using to create the page?

• edited June 4

Well for example:
    $this->load->module_view(SHOP_FOLDER, 'category', $this->data);

• I recalled that $this->data = $this->fuel->pagevars->retrieve(uri_segment(1));is one way of getting ANY vars, but the main layout doesn't get applied. Looking back at other advanced module layouts, I have repeated the main layout inside of the module, but this seems un-DRY

• So looking back at previous advanced modules I've done, and I think sort of like the blog module, I've ended up doing this sort of thing:

$output = $this->load->module_view(SHOP_FOLDER, '_layouts/products/category', $this->data, TRUE);
                $this->output->set_output($output);

This is necessary because of the HMVC structure?

• Correct. You could also try the following:

$vars = array(); // ... add any other $vars to your page outside of the CMS
    $this->fuel->pages->render('my_uri', $vars, array('view_module' => SHOP_FOLDER));

• edited June 5

yes - that's much neater, plus handles the layout in the 3rd arg
    array('view_module' => SHOP_FOLDER, 'layout' => 'shop_main')

Many thanks!

• I anticipated that

$this->fuel->pages->render('category', $this->data, array('view_module' => SHOP_FOLDER, 'layout' => 'shop_main'));

would render the 'category' view inside the 'shop_main' layout from the SHOP_FOLDER module when used from a shop module controller. But in fact the /application/ 'main' layout is used (which isn't named 'shop_main' so I guess that key is ignored). So the 'view_module' key doesn't set the layout to be from the same folder (understandable) but is there a property that would make use of a module layout file?

I realise I'm now asking the opposite of how the thread began!! I'm fine keeping the layout in the application folder, which is what I wanted, but I'm curious!

My folder structure in the module is vanilla HMVC:

application
    -views
    category.php
    --_layouts
    ---shop_main.php

• I believe the reason why that layout key isn't working is probably because it's not defined as a layout in MY_fuel_layouts.php. In that case, there is a "module" property you can specify in your layout definition as SHOP_FOLDER.

$config['layouts']['shop_main'] = array(
        'module' => SHOP_FOLDER,
        'fields'    => array(....)
    );

• edited September 13

OK, so this is a bit late, but I found a solution!

In MY_fuel_layouts.php as you suggested:
    /**
    * For shop module
    */
    $config['layouts']['shop_main'] = array(
    'module' => SHOP_FOLDER
    );

then in the controller:

$this->page_props = [
            'view_module' => SHOP_FOLDER,
            'layout' => 'shop_main',
            'views_path' => SHOP_PATH.'/views/',