Grouping Modules in the admin sidebar

edited August 2017 in Installation
Hi Admin,

Is there a way where-in we can group certain modules under the left sidebar of the admin panel. A more user friendly way of displaying certain sections of the website.

Like suppose we have 2 custom modules History page, Team, Management Team all to be displayed under collapsible About section.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited 6:29AM
    Yes. You can overwrite the entire navigation array array in your MY_fuel.php file. By default, the array is the following:
    // Site... Dashboard will always be there $config['nav']['site'] = array( 'dashboard' => lang('module_dashboard'), 'pages' => lang('module_pages'), 'blocks' => lang('module_blocks'), 'navigation' => lang('module_navigation'), 'tags' => lang('module_tags'), 'categories' => lang('module_categories'), 'assets' => lang('module_assets'), 'sitevariables' => lang('module_sitevariables') ); // My modules... if set to empty array, then it will automatically include all in MY_fuel_modules.php $config['nav']['modules'] = array(); // Tools $config['nav']['tools'] = array(); // Manage $config['nav']['manage'] = array( 'users' => lang('module_users'), 'permissions' => lang('module_permissions'), 'manage/cache' => lang('module_manage_cache'), 'logs' => lang('module_manage_activity'), 'settings' => lang('module_manage_settings'), );

Additionally, there is a $config['nav_auto_arrange'] = TRUE; parameter you can set in MY_fuel.php which will give you some more flexibility in the ordering if set to FALSE.
    Okay, I will try this!

Will this overwrite also handle the permission being set for individual user?
    The permissions will work the same.
    Hi Admin,

I tried to implement your solution by adding the below line

$config['nav']['modules'] = array('My Group' => array('healthcare' => 'healthcare', 'benefits' => 'benefits'));
    But I received the below error: Can you suggest an alternative or may be I missed out on something.

A PHP Error was encountered
    Severity: Notice

Filename: core/Loader.php(392) : eval()'d code

Line Number: 65

Backtrace:

File: D:\wamp64\www\FUEL-CMS-master\fuel\modules\fuel\core\Loader.php(392) : eval()'d code
    Line: 65
    Function: _error_handler

File: D:\wamp64\www\FUEL-CMS-master\fuel\modules\fuel\core\Loader.php
    Line: 392
    Function: eval

Line: 323
    Function: _ci_load

Line: 462
    Function: view

File: D:\wamp64\www\FUEL-CMS-master\fuel\modules\fuel\core\Loader.php(392) : eval()'d code
    Line: 22
    Function: module_view

Line: 392
    Function: eval

Line: 323
    Function: _ci_load

Line: 462
    Function: view

File: D:\wamp64\www\FUEL-CMS-master\fuel\modules\fuel\libraries\Fuel_admin.php
    Line: 266
    Function: module_view

File: D:\wamp64\www\FUEL-CMS-master\fuel\modules\fuel\controllers\Dashboard.php
    Line: 30
    Function: render

File: D:\wamp64\www\FUEL-CMS-master\index.php
    Line: 364
    Function: require_once
    This error is displayed in the left sidebar of the admin panel. Below the error, I got one single module entry titled as 'Array' and linked to http://localhost/FUEL-CMS-master/admin/My Group .
    I got what the code does but just wanted to know if there is a way to achieve a collapsible head under which certain modules could be grouped same as Site, Modules, Tools, Manage titles.

Thanks.
    The nav array should only be 2 arrays deep. In your case, you have specified "My Group" to be under the "modules" group. Instead, try the following:
    $nav['my_group'] = array('healthcare' => 'healthcare', 'benefits' => 'benefits');
    Awesome, I have a section now which reads my_group but still all the modules are visible under modules section. Here is my code!

//$config['nav']['modules'] = array();

$config['nav']['my_group'] = array('healthcare' => 'healthcare');
    If I can have all the modules sorted and bifurcated then I wont need the modules section in the left side bar. Any ways to hide the section?
    You can just unset that part of the $nav array:
    unset($config['nav']['modules']);
    I guess this works, now I don't see modules section in the left side bar but this caused another issue to pop-up right on the dashboard

A PHP Error was encountered
    Severity: Notice

Filename: libraries/Fuel_admin.php

Line Number: 536

Backtrace:

Line: 536
    Function: _error_handler

Line: 138
    Function: nav

File: D:\wamp64\www\FUEL-CMS-master\fuel\modules\fuel\libraries\Fuel_base_controller.php
    Line: 55
    Function: initialize

File: D:\wamp64\www\FUEL-CMS-master\fuel\modules\fuel\controllers\Dashboard.php
    Line: 8
    Function: __construct

File: D:\wamp64\www\FUEL-CMS-master\index.php
    Line: 364
    Function: require_once
    I changed line 536 with

//$arranged_nav['modules'] = $orig_nav['modules'];
    $arranged_nav['modules'] = isset($orig_nav['modules']) ? $orig_nav['modules'] : array();
    to solve the issue
    You can also try adding the following to your fuel/application/config/MY_fuel.php
    $config['nav_auto_arrange'] = TRUE;