Note the upgraded forum! If you are experiencing issues logging in, you may need to reset your password which should send an email. If the email doesn't arrive, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

Admin control panel themes / skinning the backend?

edited January 2011 in Share
Hi guys, I was wondering if there's a good / easy way to create new looks for the backend. I see that the view files are placed in modules/fuel/views/ so I guess it's just a matter of editing those files - but is there a better way? (thinking that upgrading will be a bit more of a hassle if those files are edited .. but then again if I'm interested in streamlining the backend for a specific task I might not ever need to update the /view/ files since I generally wouldn't need new functionality introduced .. I guess .. Anyhow - any input is appreciated! :-)

Comments

• edited 1:47PM
    The CSS and images are located in the fuel/modules/fuel/assets directory and in particular, you would probably want to edit the fuel.css file. Alternatively, FUEL has an xtra_css configuration parameter that you can add to your fuel/application/config/MY_fuel.php file, which will allow you to overwrite existing styles to make it look the way you want:
    http://www.getfuelcms.com/user_guide/general/configuration
    Thank you for that info. I think I'd want to do more than just editing the visual looks though but also add to / remove from / reorder the sidebar menu.
  • edited January 2011
    The sidebar menu is created by the $config['nav'] parameter in the fuel/modules/fuel/config/fuel.php file. You can overwrite that configuration parameter in your fuel/application/config/MY_fuel.php file. Also, modules like the blog add their menu items in there own config file (look at fuel/modules/blog/config/blog.php).

As an FYI, the sidebar is written in the fuel/modules/fuel/views/_blocks/fuel_header.php

Hope that helps
    Yeah I found it in fuel_header.php but didn't know about the 'nav' config item. That might be cleaner.

Thanks a bunch! :-)