Can't get mod_rewrite to work... I want to get rid of /index.php/!

edited July 2012 in Installation
I am struggling in removing the /index.php/ section from my URLs... whatever I do I just seem to get 404 not found error...

http://localhost/~livvy/barbaraolive/index.php/test
works fine

but

http://localhost/~livvy/barbaraolive/test
doesn't!

test.php is a view without a controller, but i have also tried creating a controller & view with no success :(

My file structure looks a bit like:

> assets
> fuel
> application
> .htaccess
> cache
> config
> views
> test.php

My .htaccess file is as follows (taken from a forum, I am new to using mod_rewrite)

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /fuel

Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule .* index.php/$0 [L]

Comments

• edited 9:20AM
    Are you sure you have .htaccess enabled on your server along with the mod_rewrite module installed? What kind of server environment are you running (e.g. MAMAP, WAMP, etc).
    I'm not using mamp or anything... i'm on mac osx lion using apache2

as far as i can tell it should be working! i've managed to get mod_rewrite to work on another site i was working on, which was just code igniter, whereas the one I'm having problems with is a fuel cms installation...
    Just to confirm, you have a page created in the CMS or a view file named test.php? Also, the CMS has been enabled in the MY_fuel.php config file correct and the fuel_mode has been set to 'auto' (if you are wanting to pull pages from the CMS)?
    I'm on the same system as you, no problems.

Are you sure that RewriteBase is correct? Should be barbaraolive (or maybe even ~livvy/barbaraolive) no?

My paths don't look like yours though, I don't have the tilde part in mine..
    test.php is just a view file

MY_fuel.php
    $config['fuel_mode'] = 'auto';
    $config['admin_enabled'] = TRUE;

Lance: i've tried changing RewriteBase unsuccessfully..

The site is under my home, Sites > barbaraolive which is why I'm using the tilde
    Try changing your RewriteBase to:
    RewriteBase /~livvy/barbaraolive/