Creating a website tutorial questions

edited June 2012 in News & Announcements
Hello,

I am trying another way of learning how to work with fuelcms.

I am trying to learn as much as I can from the user guide and tutorials, but sometimes I don't know where to look in order to find the answer to my question.

I took a simple web site that I have and I am trying to recreate it with fuel.

I am following the Creating a Website Tutorial.

First question is:

In the header _block, I see there are two lines:

echo css('main');
echo css($css);

Why do we have these two lines, isn't echo css('main') enough? What do these lines actually do?

Second question:

I have created a sponsors module following the news module in the tutorial.

Everything works fine besides the frontend sponsors view.

I have the sponsors module on the dashboard.
I see the list of sponsors that I have created.
I can creat, edit and delete a sponsor.

Now I want to have a frontend page that displays these spnosors.

I created this file:
sponsors.php in the views folder.

The code:

<?php $sponsors = fuel_model('sponsors'); ?>

Our Sponsors

<?php
foreach($sponsors as $sp):
$name = $sp->name;
echo "\n \n
\n";
endforeach;
?>
$name

If I go to: localhost/mysite/sponsors

I get this php error:

"A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Filename: fuel/Loader.php(298) : eval()'d code

Line Number: 9"

I checked the sponsors array by print_r($sponsors); and it has all the values in it and everything looks fine.

So what am I doing wrong?

Question 3:

If I look at the Creating Simple Modules tutorial I see they are using $CI->load->model('model_name').
When should I use:
$sponsors = fuel_model('spnosors');
and when do I use
$CI->load->model('sponsors');
$sponsors = sponsors->find_all(); ?

And I don't understand how does: $CI->model_name->find_all() works, there is no function in the module called find_all so what is it? Is it a function built into fuelcms with the table_class so it just works out of the box?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited 4:27PM
    1. The $css refers to a variable that you can set on your pages or in a variables file so that additional CSS files can be added to your page. Examples:
    // from within a view file fuel_set_var('css', array('my_css')); // from within your global variables file $vars['css'] = array('my_css'); // using the page array in your variables file $pages['my_page'] = array('css' => array('my_css'));

2. Does your Sponsors_model also contain a "Sponsor_model" record class? If it works using an array syntax instead of the object syntax, then you may need to include that:
    foreach($sponsors as $sp): $name = $sp['name']; echo "\n $name\n \n"; endforeach;

3. fuel_model is a convenience function that wraps around $CI->load->model('model_name'). It will load the model and then call the method in a more compact format.
    // using fuel_model $sponsors = fuel_model('sponsors'); // is the same as $CI->load->model('sponsors_model'); $sponsors = $CI->sponsors_model->find_all();
    Also, with regards to the second part of your 3rd question, a simple module is essentially a wrapper around a model. The model class contains the find_all method (and a bunch more). If you haven't read the documentation on models, I'd recommend it:
    http://www.getfuelcms.com/user_guide/libraries/my_model
    http://www.getfuelcms.com/user_guide/libraries/my_model/table_class_functions
    http://www.getfuelcms.com/user_guide/libraries/my_model/data_record_class_functions
    http://www.getfuelcms.com/user_guide/libraries/base_module_model (extends MY_Model for modules)
    Hi admin,

1. Regarding the css, just want to make sure I understand correctly.
    The echo css('main') will link to the main.css file.
    The echo css($css) will link to any css file they I add in the variables file, right?

2. My sponsors_model has this function (Please see my comments in the code):
    class Sponsor_item_model extends Base_module_record
    {
    // Not sure what this function is doing but I copied it from the news model in the tutorial//
    function get_url()
    {
    if (!empty($this->link)) return $this->link;
    return site_url('sponsors/'.$this->slug);
    }
    }

* Just wondering why do I need to use the array syntax when all the tutorials and user guides use the object syntax. I tested it now with the array syntax and it works, but I need to understand why, if possible.

If you don't mind, I have another question now, I am not sure what does this function do:
    function _common_query()
    {
    parent::_common_query(); // to do active and published ?? What does that mean?
    $this->db->order_by('category desc');
    }

3. Thanks, I understand point 3.

4. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH, for taking the time to answer all my questions :)
    1. That is correct... you can add the variables to the variables file or use fuel_set_var in your view file to set the variable. It's essentially just a view variable.

2. If you have "Sponsor_item_model" as the name of your record class, you'll need to set the name of the record class as a property in the Sponsors_model if you haven't already like so:
    public $record_class = 'Sponsor_item'
    The reason you need to set it in this case is because by default it looks for "Sponsor_model' (basically removes the "s" from Table class model Sponsors_model). If no record class is found, then it will default to an array.

3. The _common_query() method is run whenever you use a find_{...} method. It's convenient for adding joins and in this case where statements. The comment refers to the parent class Base_module_model that has in it's _common_query method to automatically remove "published ='no'" or "active = 'no'" records in queries performed in the front end. Therefore we make the call to the parent to make sure that automatically happens for this model.