Customizing Fuel (Theming the Backend, Porting Fuel Functionality into Custom Views, etc.)

edited June 2012 in Feature Requests
As my Fuel sites are becoming more developed, I'm finding that it would be increasingly useful to be able to port a lot of the nice time-saving features of custom modules developed in Fuel into my own custom-themed area. To get up and running with a simple module is very quick now that I have some basic examples under my belt, but the roadblock from here is the customization of the user interface.

Ideally what I would like to have the ability to do is have multiple administrative "portals", for example a Finance Portal that only people in the finance department can log in and do fiscal-related tasks like issue refunds, log check receipts, etc. Another portal idea would be for managing a specific program, like our Company Subscriptions program. Each of these "portals" I would like to have branded and themed to the specific website, as opposed to using the default Fuel look-and-feel.

I can accomplish this the same way that Fuel does by simply using the Fuel classes, but I need some more easy-to-read documentation and EXAMPLES, EXAMPLES, EXAMPLES. I find it always helps to see some actual code rather than read through an API spec to see how something works. Take the Form_builder class for example. I would like to try using Form_builder to generate all my forms, but I can't seem to fully grasp what is required to fully utilize it by simply browsing the source code of say, the blog module. The blog module is a bit complex in and of itself, so some more examples and even tutorials on these valuable Fuel classes would help A LOT.

Right now I have some advanced modules that are like precursor "portals" that I have coded my own authentication utilizing fuel_auth, but what I want to do is be able to integrate all the tools that Fuel uses to generate the module lists with the sortable columns, selectable rows, edit and delete row options, action buttons across the top, the search bar, filters and the whole shebang. I know all I have to do is learn the Fuel API and inherit my controllers from Fuel_base_controller and the models from Base_module_model, but it would just help to be able to see a real example of this (with detailed comments) so that I can see how to properly do it.

Any code to share or plans to provide some more documentation/tutorials/examples along these lines?

Thanks for hearing me out.
Erik