Active record update with on_after_post() hook

edited May 2012 in Modules
I've got a photos / gallery model that uses on_after_post() to create thumbnails, and that aspect works fine. I thought I'd add to the functionality by saving the thumb filename to the table from on_after_post().

So I have this:
function on_after_post($values) { $CI =& get_instance(); $CI->load->library('image_lib'); $pk = $values['id']; // create the thumbnail if an image is uploaded if (!empty($CI->upload)) { $data = $CI->upload->data(); if (!empty($data['full_path'])) { // create thumb $config = array(); $config['create_thumb'] = TRUE; $config['source_image'] = $data['full_path']; $config['width'] = 100; $config['height'] = 80; $config['master_dim'] = 'auto'; $config['maintain_ratio'] = TRUE; $config['thumb_marker'] = '_thumb'; $CI->image_lib->clear(); $CI->image_lib->initialize($config); if (!$CI->image_lib->resize()) { $this->add_error($CI->image_lib->display_errors()); } else // store thumb filename for convenience { $thm = $data['raw_name'] . $config['thumb_marker'] . $data['file_ext']; $this->_update_thumb_field($pk, $thm); } } } return $values; } function _update_thumb_field($pk, $thm) { if(is_numeric($pk)) { $this->db->set('thumbnail_file', $thm); $this->db->set('id', $pk); /* without this, id gets set to 0 */ $this->db->where('id', $pk); $this->db->update('photos'); } }

Now here's what I find odd - without the id being explicitly set(), the update leaves id as 0, and yet $pk is always the right index value for the table. In SQL terms that just seems unnecessary (eg UPDATE photos SET id = x, thumbnail_file = 'xyz_thumb.gif' WHERE id = x). Is doing an update from this hook likely to lead to any race conditions? This is more likely a MySQL issue or a Codeigniter one, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what can be done with on_after_post(). Incidentally, if this is the last hook to trigger (is it?) does there need to be a return for $values?

Comments

• edited 6:21PM
    I worked out a more satisfactory way of getting Active Record to do what I wanted:
    function _update_thumb_field($pk, $thm) { if(is_numeric($pk)) { $where = 'id = '. $pk; $data = array('thumbnail_file' => $thm); $str = $this->db->update_string('photos', $data, $where); $this->db->query($str); $this->db->get('photos'); } }

So that avoided having to over-write the id using set(), which offended me beyond reasonable measure.

I'd like to know why the update method seems to railroad me into that situation though.
    There doesn't need to be a return of values. Could you do a $this->db->debug_query() right after $this->db->update('photos') to see what it outputs for the query?
    Yup I did some debugging and the update() method was insisting on using SET `id` = '', and since there was no id being explicitly set, it found the right record, and overwrote the id with 0. Why it persisted in this I don't understand. I wonder if - ironically - it is because of some safety setting somewhere? Whether from CI or MySQL I'm not sure.

Still, the alternative is satisfactory.