Internet Explorer & Session login

edited May 2012 in Bug Reports
I'm in the process of releasing a FUEL CMS site live, and the client is having an inordinate amount of trouble logging in to the FUEL admin with IE. I've tried everything from IE6 to IE10, on 4 different networks on 2 continents, but cannot recreate the problem (essentially a 403). Other browsers are OK for the client. However, I believe that there are some reported issues with IE and the CI Session library.

I've tried the hybrid library from http://www.matthewfedak.co.uk/session_hybrid_codeigniter.html but this hasn't seemingly helped, and am currently back with the default library, with database enabled & encryption, the cookie name with underscore removed, and 'saved_page_state_max' = 1.

What is the current best practice for this problem, if you've encountered it? And what is the process by which the /fuel cookies are created ?

From the ci_session table I have some entries that look like this:
a:1:{s:37:"fuel_20939f4faf5d01be73f3486c3ae6b248";a:0:{}}
but others with many more fields in the empty braces - is this the data limited by saved_page_state_max?

The issue is especially irksome in that this is the client's 1st impression, not of a great CMS, but something problematic and so far, insoluable (they installed Chrome to access the admin). I've categorised this in "bug reports" but it's more likely IE's fault.

Comments

• edited 3:55PM
    When I've run into login issues in the past, they've seemed to be fixed by deleting the cookie and was usually a result of me having multiple FUEL sites with the same name. Also, using the database helps as well for the saving state. Is it possible to have the client clear their cookies or try on a different machine? Also does it help if you set the domain in the config.php for the cookie per this thread, or even change the session cookie's name:
    http://codeigniter.com/forums/viewthread/205781/#973697
  • edited 3:55PM
    I'd missed the cookie_domain option - I'll see how that works out, thanks!