Hacking the Blog Module to allow Comments on a Book content type

edited May 2012 in Modules
Hey guys,

I titled this post as such since I'm looking at a specific way to use the Blog module to my advantage for a client requirement. I'm doing a website for a book author, and they have the following requirements:

1) Each Book has its own full page view with a multitude of different types of information.
2) Each Book has the ability for people to leave a comment
3) Books would need to be rotated on the homepage

Here is the website: http://www.rivannariverbooks.com

My first thought was to create each book as a blog post, which would accomplish the comments objective right away. To improve the aesthetics and flexibility of this requirement, however, I thought I would look into ways that I can "hack" the functionality of the blog module to allow the commenting feature to work in either of two cases:

1) If each Book was created as a Page
2) If each Book was created in a Simple Module

I am not sure which of the above 2 configurations would be better from a simplicity and flexibility standpoint, but I am leaning towards #2 because I want the client to be able to manage their own Books and thus would need to setup a simple module for storing the Book information and control what books display on the homepage, etc.

Since the Blog documentation is fairly basic, can anyone give me some tips as to how to approach a feature like this? Is there a way to create a Simple Module that allows for comments, but doesn't re-write the whole comments module from scratch?

FYI, I have a good familiarity with Simple Modules (and I've created some advanced ones as well).

Thanks!
Erik

Comments

• edited 7:54AM
    I think I would recommend breaking out the comments module from the blog and creating a books simple module. We've had to do something similar in the past and have considered creating a more generic "comments" advanced module outside of the blog but haven't yet.
  • edited 7:54AM
    Yeah, that's where I was leaning towards as well. I'll leave some more questions as I come to them and we'll see where this goes!