Uploading a static block file into admin

edited March 2012 in Modules
Hello -
What exactly is supposed to happen when I attempt to upload block files? When I try to upload static file, I just get little message next to choose file button that says "no file selected".

Also in blocks can I have 3 separate spaces to edit content? In my block I have 3 columns that are somewhat static but would be nice to make them available to admin.

I didnt know if I'm able to specify "layout_fields" in a block file.

thanks
Matt

Comments

• edited 4:08AM
    Uploading a block should upload the contents of a view file to the block content field and attempt to translate any PHP code into the Dwoo templating syntax. You must select the block from the dropdown that you want to upload to and then select a block view file from your file system to upload.

With regards to the blocks and 3 separate spaces, blocks only allow for one block of content unlike pages, which you can configure different layout fields.
    This sort of functionality would be really useful - make a CMS Block more like a page that can have a layout. Otherwise you have no way of content managing content that appears in multiple pages - the only option is to hard code it into your _blocks folder.
    I've just realised this is easily achievable by creating a simple module to store the content and loading the data from there instead.
    FUEL 1.0 provides a "block" field type which lets you select from a dropdown of blocks while creating a page. The blocks can have layout fields tied to them:
    http://docs.getfuelcms.com/general/layouts#layouts_block_layouts