save related data to another table?

edited December 2011 in Modules
I want to save some added fields data to another table of another module. how is it possible.
save_related will save two foreign keys of two tables in seperate table, if I have learned correctly.

table profile
++++++++++++++++
| id | name | email |

table users
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
| id | username | password | profile_id |

On form of profile page I should be able to add username, password and profile_id = id

how can I do this.

Comments

• edited 6:10PM
    Im away from a comp and I've not used the related methods, I'd usually use the on_after_save hook to load the other tables model and do the work there
    I have also done on_after_save hook but. don't know how to save more then one data on other table.
    In the form itself, you can set all your profile attributes to have field names that create an array when posted. For example:
    // in users form_fields method... function form_fields($values = array(), $related = array()) { $fields = parent::form_fields($values, $related); $fields['profile[name]'] = array('label' => 'Name'); $fields['profile[email]'] = array('label' => 'Email'); return $fields; }
    Then in your on_after_save hook, you could do something like the following:
    function on_after_save($values) { $posted = $_POST if (!empty($posted['profile']) AND !empty($values['profile_id'])) { $this->load->model('profiles_model'); // first delete any existing profile information... may not be necessary if the email is set to a unique index in which case the value will just be updated $this->profiles_model->delete(array('profile_id' => $values['profile_id'])); foreach($posted['profile'] as $profile) { $p = $this->profiles_model->create(); $p->name = $profile['name']; $p->email = $profile['email']; $p->save(); } } return $values; }
    Thanks, it worked.

need a small help what i want to do is:
    retrieve data from profile form and insert part of it to users form for login_name and password first and
    take the insert id of users table and put it into profile table as user_id.
    The newly inserted id should be in the $values array. Try adding $p->profile_id = $values['id'] in the foreach loop.
  • edited December 2011
    I want to first add users on on_before_save hook of profiles_model and then take the inserted id and insert or update to profile table using foreign key user_id.
    $posted = $_POST
    if (!empty($posted['profile']) AND !empty($values['id']))
    {
    $this->load->model('users_model');

// first delete any existing profile information... may not be necessary if the email is set to a unique index in which case the value will just be updated
    if(!empty($posted['user_id']) AND ($posted['user_id'] != 0)){
    $this->users_model->delete(array('id' => $values['user_id']));
    }
    foreach($posted['profile'] as $user)
    {
    $p = $this->users_model->create();
    $p->name = $profile['name'];
    $p->email = $profile['email'];
    $p->save();
    }
    //-----------here how to get the inserted id of this users_model-----------
    }
    return $values;
    //--------after this value is returned i will add the returned id of users to profile as user_id------
    $p->save() will return the id value if saved without errors:
    $user_id = $p->save();
    Also, after save, you can access the user id like so:
    $user_id = $p->id;