Note the upgraded forum! If you are experiencing issues logging in, you may need to reset your password which should send an email. If the email doesn't arrive, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

Questions regarding fuel_model()

edited November 2011 in Modules
I want to create an adverts module which will render 2 advertising blocks, one for horizontal banners, the other for vertical. The selection would be random. The "quotes" module in the Widgicorp demo looks like a good example of the kind of thing I want, but I don't fully understand what "fuel_model()" does in rendering these quotes - particularly the array parameters.

Firstly, what qualifies a model to be accessible by fuel_model()? Is it simply by having an array declared in MY_fuel_models?

Secondly, what do the array argument elements mean? For example, the quotes block has:

fuel_model('quotes', array('find' => 'one', 'order' => 'RAND()'));

Obviously, this gets one random quote, but how?

The 1st argument ('quotes') refers to...? The table? The class however is 'quotes_model'. There is no $record_class defined in that model either.

The user guide suggests the (1st) argument as:

"module - specifies the module folder name to find the model"

What folder? The model is in the application/models folder, as is typical - it's not an advanced module. Further, on what function of the model is the "find" operating on - there is nothing like "function one()" in the quotes_model.php. There must be some convention I'm unaware of.

When I try to use fuel_model() on my adverts model, I get "Message: Trying to get property of non-object". It has an entry in the MY_fuel_modules.php config however. In fact I get this message on most (but not all) models, however, all the FUEL models either work or do not explicitly error? The fuel_model() function looks like one of the most useful features I've found recently, and I want to be able to use it with confidence!

Comments

• edited November 2011
    OK, I solved my immediate problem - the "quotes" example uses
    $quote->name
    to extract its data. I couldn't get this to work (like for like) in my example, however using the index name of the returned array did eg
    $hz_ad['url']

The earlier questions still stand though! I only reached this point by using gettype() to analyse what I was getting and guessing!
  • edited 8:15PM
    I think instead of me trying to explain the answers, take a look at the method in /modules/fuel/helpers it's quite short and easy to follow.. It'll probably be more succinct than my ramblings!
  • edited 8:15PM
    The first parameter "module" refers to the module key name in your MY_fuel_modules.php file. It uses that value to get the module information including what "model" is associated with the module using the "model_name" parameter". The other "module" parameter refers to the "Advanced" module name or folder that the model exists in (I understand the confusion).