Can't login to dashboard after converting MY_fuel.php to UTF-8

edited November 2011 in Bug Reports
Hello! After editing site name in MY_fuel to name in russian i've receive boxes instead of letters in the top of dashboard, where site name should be displayed. Than i decide to convert MY_fuel.php to utf8? after converting i can't login to dashboard. There are no errors, just reloading of signin form after pressing Login button. What should i do to have russian text displayed? Convert all fuel files to utf-8?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited 11:31AM
    Hmm... the file should already be saved as UTF-8. I just tried editing the site name to russian and I'm not getting any boxes and shows up OK.
  • edited 11:31AM
    When i open any file from fuel in notepad++ and go to "encoding" menu there are "Encoded in ANSI" item checked.
    For now I change charset in fuel_header.php to windows-1251 and now it's ok. But i'd like to have my files encoded in unicode. Maybe it's problem of my system, i develop localy on WinXP with Apache installed, and not try yet to upload and test on production server.
  • edited November 2011
    In an ideal world files containing language variables/data should be separated into dedicated language files and saved as UTF-8 (without bom)... all other files should be ANSI.... Of course it's also important to ensure db stored variables of this type be UTF-8 too...

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement a user class giving access to (but not limited to) the user language, then using something like $user->lang[SITNAME]; to return the correct language value....

The user class would have many additional benefits including easy access to password, username, avatar etc...

This implementation would result in only language file needing to be encoded as UTF-8 (without bom)...