Note the upgraded forum! If you are experiencing issues logging in, you may need to reset your password which should send an email. If the email doesn't arrive, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

Modules display_field

edited July 2011 in Modules
Is it possible to set a modules config field: display_field to a field in another table?

I have an area where I'm managing the relationship between entities. None of the fields in this table are suitable for a display but one of the id fields (FK) links to a table that does.

Comments

• edited 12:26AM
    Try adding that field in the model's _common_query() method with a select and join so it's available with basic find queries and see if that works:
    function _common_query() { parent::_common_query(); $this->db->select($this->table_name.'.* my_key_table.my_field'); $this->db->join('my_key_table', 'my_key_table.id = '.$this->table_name.'.my_key_table_id', 'left'); }
    Thanks for that David,

Doesn't quite crack it. I'm happy enough to keep hacking at it.

So far:
    Problem comes from base_module_models::get_others which boils down to MY_Model::options_list

options_list() seems to not use MY_Model::get() so it doesn't pick up _common_query

I've dropped a:

if (method_exists($this, '_common_query'))

in there which is at least firing it.

I'm picking it'll probably turn to custard with the validation of submits though.
  • edited September 2011
    In that case you can overwrite the option_list method in your model and apply any joins before calling the parent like so:
    function options_list(key, $val, $where, $order) { $this->db->join('join1', 'join1.ref_id = join2.id', 'left'); return parent::options_list($key, $val, $where, $order); }
    I just did exactly that but added a concat() in there, the get_others list works perfectly fine... but this data is a mess/unsuitable for this approach, re-think needed!

Cheers for your help.
    in case someone had the same trouble figuring out why the above example is not returning entries in the dropdown, you need to

return parent::options_list(...
    I've updated the example above to help avoid confusion.