Fuel with Wamp secure folders

edited February 2018 in Installation
Hello,

I am new to Fuel and worked with Codeigniter many years ago.

I am using WAMP on Windows 7 and a bit confused with this instruction:

"Place the downloaded folder onto your webserver. Note that the fuel/data_backup, fuel/install and fuel/scripts folders should be a folders inaccessible from the web if using .htaccess."

I would rather not use .htaccess but not sure what am I supposed to do.

From the ci installation guide I read this:

"For the best security, both the system and any application folders should be placed above web root so that they are not directly accessible via a browser. By default, .htaccess files are included in each folder to help prevent direct access, but it is best to remove them from public access entirely in case the web server configuration changes or doesn’t abide by the .htaccess."

I installed fuel into: c:\wamp\www\mysite

1. I don't see any folder called system?

2. Should I create a folder e.g.: c:\wamp\ci and move the fuel/application folder to this folder?

4. If so, do I need to change anything in configuration anywhere to point to this folder?

I can upload folders to my host outside of the root folder and I want the structure on my local machine to be the same as on the live server.

I hope someone can help?

Thank you

Comments

• edited 12:21PM
    FUEL has changed the "system" folder and moved it under the fuel/codeigniter. There are .htaccess files to help prevent external access but the fuel folder needs to exist in the main web directory.
    Thank you, but then what do you mean here:
    Note that the fuel/data_backup, fuel/install and fuel/scripts folders should be a folders inaccessible from the web if using .htaccess.

If using .htaccess? And if not?

And do I need to change anything in these htaccess files or not?

Thank you very much.
    The fuel/data_backup has a .htaccess file in it with deny from all. That folder can actually be moved if you want because it's not directly used by FUEL but more of just a place to store database backups.
    Thank you very much.