Note the upgraded forum! If you are experiencing issues logging in, you may need to reset your password which should send an email. If the email doesn't arrive, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

fuel->config() persistance

edited May 2015 in Modules
Hi

When saving new pages, a navigation item is created at the same time with a group_id that uses the contents of the 'auto_page_navigation_group_id' setting.

I'm using the $limit_to_user_field functionality and need to specify what group_id should be used for the navigation item when saving the page. I've extended Fuel_pages_model and in the on_before_save() function I've set
$this->fuel->set_config('auto_page_navigation_group_id',10);
Where '10' is the group_id I want to use. Testing later in the same function using
$this->fuel->config('auto_page_navigation_group_id')
returns '10' - which is what I want.

In _save_page_vars() function of ./fuel/modules/fuel/controller/pages.php - where the navigation item is created, the same check returns '1'.

Does that mean that changing the settings using set_config() does not persist outside the calling function?

This does seem to be a bit messy as a solution. Is there a different approach I'm missing?

Cheers

Comments

• edited 3:45PM
    No, it should persist it to the CI config object ($this->config->item('fuel') should yield all the config variables. It doesn't however, persist the data to storage so subsequent calls would still show 1.

Is there any conditional logic in the on_before_save where in some instances the "auto_page_navigation_group_id" config value would not be set to 10?
    Hmm. Something's not right.

There is logic in the on_before_save() but I've got a log_message() on the last line before the return which outputs '10'.

I also have a log_message() on the first line of pages::_save_page_vars() which records $this->config->item('fuel') and shows auto_page_navigation_group_id = 1
    This is weird.

In pages::create(), I've edited:
    // run before_save hook $this->_run_hook('before_save', $posted); log_message('DEBUG','Current Config:: '.print_r($this->config->item('fuel'),true));

I'm setting 'auto_page_navigation_group_id' in the model's on_before_save() - which is called by the _run_hook(). If I look in the logs however the config array is printed before my log_message() in on_before_save(). Surely it should be after?.. It certainly explains why the "auto_page_navigation_group_id" is not being picked up properly
    The $this->_run_hook() call is for module hooks and not model hooks (more on the difference here):
    http://docs.getfuelcms.com/modules/hooks
    Thanks. I think I understand the difference but I'm not sure how relevent that is. I'm using all Fuel native code. I've not changed anything just created a on_before_save() function in my over-ridden Fuel_pages_model (My_fuel_pages_model).

Are you saying that since I've over-ridden Fuel_pages_model, I now have a completely seperate model and the native Pages controller can no longer process _run_hook()?

That does not seem to be the case, my on_before_save() does seem to get processed by the native Pages controller, the problem seems to be that the controller is ignoring my changes to the CI Config and, weirdly, my log_message seems to be processed before the _run_hook callback has finished.

Perhaps I'm doing this all wrong?

If I'm using the $limit_to_user_field functionality in an over-riodden Fuel_pages_model, how can I force the Pages controller to use a group_id of my (dynamic) choice rather than what's hard-coded into the CI config object?
    This is what I've done to try and replicate your issue and it seems to work:

1. Added the following to the fuel/application/config/MY_fuel_modules.php file:
    $config['module_overwrites']['pages']['model_name'] = 'my_pages_model'; $config['module_overwrites']['pages']['model_location'] = 'app';

2. Create a fuel/application/models/my_pages_model.php file with the following in it:
    require_once(FUEL_PATH.'models/fuel_pages_model.php'); class My_pages_model extends Fuel_pages_model { public $limit_to_user_field = TRUE; public function on_before_save($values) { $values = parent::on_before_save($values); $this->fuel->set_config('auto_page_navigation_group_id', 10); return $values; } }
    Creating a new page with the navigation item is getting set to 10 when I do it this way. Is this along the lines of what you are doing and am I missing a step?
    Yes, that's pretty much what I have too (of course, I have extra code to calculate the actual group_id that I want to use).

I also have code that saves the original auto_page_navigation_group_id to my_page_model::$orig_group_id and then in the on_after_save(), I put it back. It seems that if I skip the on_after_save() phase (and therefore duplicate your example) - it works!
    require_once(FUEL_PATH.'models/fuel_pages_model.php'); class My_pages_model extends Fuel_pages_model { public $limit_to_user_field = TRUE; public $orig_group_id = 1; public function on_before_save($values) { $values = parent::on_before_save($values); $this->orig_group_id = $this->fuel->config('auto_page_navigation_group_id'); $this->fuel->set_config('auto_page_navigation_group_id', 10); return $values; } public function on_after_save($values) { $values = parent::on_after_save($values); $this->fuel->set_config('auto_page_navigation_group_id', $this->orig_group_id); return $values; } }