Note the upgraded forum! If you are experiencing issues logging in, you may need to reset your password which should send an email. If the email doesn't arrive, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

Override FUEL layouts (for admin)

edited December 2014 in Feature Requests
Just curious, is this something that's doable in the current structure? Basically, I want to change the login screen for the CMS part of the site but I don't necessarily want to go in and tweak the source code just have a file to override the current layout.

Additionally, is there a way to add to the right sidebar items that show up in a model's item view? For instance, on pages there's the restore from a previous version dropdown and the create a navigation link. I'd like to add a context type menu to the side of model so admins can navigate around a bit quicker within the admin.

Comments

• edited 1:25AM
    For changing the login screen, you can't easily change the view but you could add your own CSS file to overwrite existing styles using an $config['xtra_css'] configuration parameter in fuel/application/config/MY_fuel.php which specifies a CSS file.

For modifying the existing modules, there is a $config['module_overwrites'] configuration parameter you can set in the fuel/application/confg/MY_fuel_modules.php file. In your case you could set the pages module to use your own extended MY_pages_model which would overwrite the "related_items" method (the method used to create the right sidebar content):
    $config['module_overwrites']['pages'] = array('model_name' => 'my_pages_model', 'model_location' => 'app');
    Then in your fuel/application/models/ folder you could add a my_pages_model file similar to the following:
    require_once(FUEL_PATH.'models/fuel_pages_model.php'); class Fuel_pages_model extends Fuel_pages_model { function related_items() { return 'My related content goes here'; } }
    http://docs.getfuelcms.com/modules/simple#overwrites
    http://docs.getfuelcms.com/libraries/base_module_model
  • edited 1:25AM
    Great! I'll give it a shot. I sort of figured my only option would be to use CSS to override the admin styling but I know in some places we do want to change a few elements on the page so we'll have to modify the core files