fuel_nav(), breadcrumbs and navigation group visibility

edited May 2014 in Modules
Hi,

I often use different navigation groups maybe a top, main and footer, but only occasionally do I render breadcrumbs (depends on the design). I've noticed that breadcrumbs on pages that are linked only by a footer navigation group don't show the full breadcrumb trail - presumably because the default group is the 1st or main one created.

So my question is, how would a layout template query which group its navigation belonged to, so that it's (breadcrumb) display was consistent, regardless of which group it belonged to?

Comments

• edited 1:48AM
    I'm not quite sure I understand the question entirely but I'll take a stab. Normally we'll create a main navigation which contains all the navigation items of the site. Then we'll use various fuel_nav() parameters such as the "depth", "exclude" or "include_hidden" parameters to filter the display of that list. This allows for things like a full breadcrumb menu without needing to use the "append" parameter. We'll use navigation groups for things like smaller menus such as tertiary top right menus.
    I think I understand the method you are proposing.

For example, a "terms & conditions" page might not warrant the "real estate" of being in the main navigation group, but could be in a footer or tertiary group. When that page is shown via the main layout template, I would still like the breadcrumb to be "Home > Terms & Conditions". I take it that your method is to make such a page "hidden" in the main navigation group, but show hidden items in the breadcrumb fuel_nav()? And if it needs to appear in the "footer" menu, then that would be a separate, extra navigation item?
    Correct.