Note the upgraded forum! If you are experiencing issues logging in, you may need to reset your password which should send an email. If the email doesn't arrive, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

In-line Editing of fuel variables

I've got one page and one block uploaded into the CMS. I'm using site variables for a few of the paragraphs and headings. So far it's all working, except the in-line-editing of those site variables. When the pencil icon is clicked, instead of allowing me to edit the variable, I get the error: "This variable must either be saved in the admin or edited in the associated views/_variables file." Does anyone know what might cause this error? (the pencil for editing the body of the page is the only one that works) Thanks!

Comments

• edited 4:02PM
    How are you calling the inline editing in your code? Is it:
    <?=fuel_var('myvar', 'default', 'sitevariables')?>
    Note the 3rd parameter specifying to use sitevariables instead of pagevariables
    <?php echo fuel_var('index_banner_text')?>

I'm not using using any of the optional variables. the variables are defined in the pagevariables section of the CMS only.
    Is the "fuel_mode" set to "auto" in your fuel/application/config/MY_fuel.php file? That message will appear if the variable being displayed isn't being pulled from the CMS (or the variable value doesn't exist)
    Yes, it is set to auto. I double checked and it is pulling the variables from the database. When I change the variable value from the CMS, it updates the page accordingly. Most of the variables don't have anything entered into the 'scope' field.
  • edited April 2014
    So these are variables set under the Pages module for a page or the Site Variables module? If the latter, have you tried:
    <?=fuel_var('myvar', 'default', 'sitevariables')?>
    Ah, assigning 'sitevariabales' to the 3rd parameter was the key. Thanks!
  • rl2rl2
    edited 4:02PM
    Okay I've found this thread and it doesn't help for me.

My fuel_mode is set to auto.

If I specify 'sitevariables' in the third parameter I get...

*** http://localhost:3000/fuel/sitevariables/inline_edit/ - 404 Page Not Found

<?php echo fuel_var('homeInsuranceTelephone','','sitevariables');?>

If the third parameter is 'pagevariables' I get...

"This variable must either be saved in the admin or edited in the associated views/_variables file."

<?php echo fuel_var('heading','','pagevariables'); ?>

The heading variable is clearly defined in MY_fuel_layouts.php:

$config['layouts']['home-insurance-page'] = array(

'fields' => array(
    'Header' => array('type' => 'fieldset', 'label' => 'Header', 'class' => 'tab'),
    'page_title' => array('label' => lang('layout_field_page_title')),
    'meta_description' => array('label' => lang('layout_field_meta_description')),
    'opengraph_image' => array('label' => lang('layout_field_opengraph_image')),
    'meta_keywords' => array('label' => lang('layout_field_meta_keywords')),
    'introbanner_alttext' => array('label' => 'Intro Banner SEO Text (leave blank for H1 Heading)', 'type' => 'string'),

'Body' => array('type' => 'fieldset', 'label' => 'Body', 'class' => 'tab'),
    'heading' => array('label' => lang('layout_field_heading')),
    'heading2' => array('label' => 'Sub Heading (H2)', 'type' => 'string'),
    'body' => array('label' => lang('layout_field_body'), 'type' => 'textarea', 'description' => lang('layout_field_body_description')),
    'body_class' => array('label' => lang('layout_field_body_class')),
    'testimonial_block' => array('label' => 'Testimonial Block Visible', 'value' => 'yes', 'type' => 'enum', 'mode' => 'radios', 'options' => array( 'yes' => 'yes', 'no' => 'no') ),
    )
    );

And of course it's writing to the page correctly!
    For that particular page, do you have a field called "heading" specified in your layout that has been saved? That error message will appear if it doesn't find that value saved in the fuel_pagevariables table for that particular page.
  • rl2rl2
    Correct, it is.

Just logged at the console output...

jquery-3.2.1.min.js?c=:2 Uncaught TypeError: $this.filter(...).size is not a function
    at HTMLSpanElement. (fuel_inline.min.js?c=:81)
    at Function.each (jquery-3.2.1.min.js?c=:2)
    at e.fn.init.each (jquery-3.2.1.min.js?c=:2)
    at moveMarkers (fuel_inline.min.js?c=:81)
    at refresh (fuel_inline.min.js?c=:80)
    at showEditors (fuel_inline.min.js?c=:90)
    at toggleEditors (fuel_inline.min.js?c=:90)
    at initFUELBar (fuel_inline.min.js?c=:96)
    at init (fuel_inline.min.js?c=:74)
    at HTMLDocument. (fuel_inline.min.js?c=:96)

in modules/fuel/assets/js/fuel/fuel_inline.min.js

At line 82 you make use of the .size method which has been deprecated since jQuery 1.8. I replaced this with:

if($this.filter(":hidden").length!=0)

This solved the problem of errors in console output but it did not solve my particular problem with inline editing.

https://api.jquery.com/size/
    The size() fix has been updated already in the develop branch. Is that "heading" variable being saved in the fuel_pagevariables table for that page_id (you'll need to lookup the corresponding page ID in the fuel_pages table using the "location" field).
  • rl2rl2
    I have checked the database all ids and page variables are set in the appropriate table/row.
    What is the fuel_mode set to in fuel/application/config/MY_fuel.php?
  • rl2rl2
    auto
    That's tough for me to tell at this point. I would start by looking at the fuel_var function itself found in the fuel_helper.php file.
  • rl2rl2
    I've looked at Pagevariables.php in fuel/modules/fuel/controllers/ at this function.

public function inline_edit($field = NULL, $page_id = NULL)

If I paste the below code within the true branch of ! is_numeric($field))... both the function arguments are empty

echo "field = " . $field . "
    ";
    echo "page_id = " . $page_id . "
    ";
    die();

Therefore making the values going into the $where = array('name' => '', 'page_id' => $page_id) empty.