displaying Moduals with has_many() relationship in views

edited March 2014 in Modules
I'm very familiar with CodeIgniter, but this is my first time using fuelcms. So far, I love it. I created a meetings_model.php file and a childcare_options_model.php file. The meetings model has a $has_many relationship with the childcare_options model. Importing them both into the admin area as modules was easy enough. The modules work, I can add, edit, and delete Meetings and Childcare Options as well as associate Childcare Options with Meetings. However, I'm having trouble displaying the meetings with their childcare options in a view file.

In a view file, I can display all of the meeting data, but don't know how to access the meeting's childcare data. I checked the mysql logs and indeed, the childcare_options table is not joined in fuel's mysql query.

I've read through http://docs.getfuelcms.com/modules/tutorial and know about the fuel_relationships table. It seems like I could join the tables manually in the meetings_model->list_items() method, but I get the impression that fuel is supposed to do this automatically. Right?

In the view, i'm trying:
<?php $meetings = fuel_model('meetings', array('find' => 'all', 'date asc')); ?>
<?php foreach($meetings as $meeting) : ?>
<?php foreach($meeting->childcare_options as $childcare_option):?>

Any suggestions or examples? I can post more of my code if that would be helpful too. Thanks!

Comments

• edited 12:41AM
    At first glance, that syntax looks correct. A few questions:
    1. I'm assuming the has_many key is also "childcare_options" correct?
    2. Is the $childcare_option variable in the loop empty (does $childcare_option->values() return an array of its property values)?
    3. Are you able to get to line 5370 of the MY_Model class (perhaps just add an exit there to see if it stops the script)? This is the record objects __get magic method which handles those dynamic bindings to the object.
    1. Yes
    2. The loop that has the $childcare_option variable is never run (no childcare options are returned).
    3. No, line 5370 is never reached. This seems like the biggest problem.

Here's the contents of my meetings_model.php file. I tried to follow the tutorials and examples available in the fuel documentation.

<?php if (!defined('BASEPATH')) exit('No direct script access allowed');
    require_once(FUEL_PATH.'models/base_module_model.php');

class Meetings_model extends Base_module_model {

public $has_many = array('childcare_options' => array('childcare_options_model'));
    public $required = array('title','date','description');

function __construct()
    {
    parent::__construct('meetings'); // table name
    }

function list_items($limit = NULL, $offset = NULL, $col = 'date', $order = 'asc')
    {
    $data = parent::list_items($limit, $offset, $col, $order);
    return $data;
    }

function _common_query()
    {
    parent::_common_query(); // to do active and published
    }

function on_before_validate($values)
    {
    // if slug is left blank, then we generate it based on the name
    $values['date'] = date('Y-m-d',strtotime($values['date']));
    return $values;
    }

}

class Meeting_model extends Base_module_record {

}
    ?>

Thanks!
    Are you able to track down where that $var variable gets applied through the conditional statements (is it before or after... or does it not even get to the __get method)?
    aha. Thank you! I did not realize that fuel does not not pre-populate $meeting with all of the pertinent information once "<?php foreach($meetings as $meeting) : ?>" is called. It appears that many SQL queries are being performed for each column lookup (i.e. every time "<?php echo $meeting->some_column ?>" is performed)?

I was making it harder than it needed to be. I had the childcare_options code inside an "if(isset($meeting->childcare_options))" statement. I took that away and it works! Thanks again!