Note the upgraded forum! If you are experiencing issues logging in, you may need to reset your password which should send an email. If the email doesn't arrive, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

Best means of adding javascript to specific CMS layouts in admin?

edited October 2013 in Share
For modules I can create JQX Controllers which can help with whatever inputs are in that module. But if I create a custom layout for regular CMS pages, what mechanism can I use to place scripts into such pages, so I can manipulate the custom fields? I noticed there is the js key for fields (as here), which is great for short scripts, and I suppose that could be used to inject js scripts from elsewhere into the page - but am I missing something more obvious?

Comments

• edited 4:00PM
    There are a couple ways.

The first would be to create a custom field type to handle it:
    http://docs.getfuelcms.com/general/forms#association_parameters
    I've found this method good for reusable form elements.

For more one off elements, I use the "js" parameter on a field like you suggested. The value can be a string value to the name of a javascript file, or maybe easier for shorter scripts, you can just use the "script" tag as the value and then use simple jQuery like so:
    ...'js' => '<script>$(function(){ ... your custom code here })</script>', ...
    I tend to use this method a lot since I don't like creating separate javascript files to manage form element stuff for one of elements.
    I used that method and at first I tried jQuery's getScript(), but that proved highly temperamental, so I used native js appendChild to add scripts instead and that worked flawlessly.

I noticed also that there is $config['fuel_javascript'] in Fuel.php / My_Fuel too for more widespread stuff.
    fuel_javascript is used for scripts on every page, whereas the custom_fields are only loaded when editing records.