Navigation and Groups issue

edited March 2013 in Modules
Hi there,

My current navigation structure is huge. I have 7 main nav items and then 90 drop-down submenu items.

When I have to add a new item to any of the subnavs I have to use Rearrange in the list view which is somewhat huge and cumbersome especially since often times I have to add an item alphabetically in the middle of the subnav.

I have also on more than one occasion completely screwed up my nav order by clicking rearrange with the wrong sort order active.

Everything looks great in tree view but I cannot rearrange from there.

I was thinking it would be nice to use a group for each of the main nav items, so that they could view and sort the subs that pertain only to their parent main nav option main but I don't believe that is how groups is set up to work.

Issue#2
Adding or editing new groups is not working for me. I select add or edit in the admin and I get a single long text box overlay on the screen but cannot type in it and no other items/buttons to control.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As always, thank you for your quick responses and great support.

Comments

• edited 10:28PM
    Issue #1
    You could use groups for each dropdown, but it would require 7 calls to "fuel_nav", one for each root dropdown item. You just need to pass in "group_id" value.

As an alternative to managing through the CMS, it's sometimes easier with large navigation structures to use the nav.php file and simply upload it after the changes are made. That is of course dependent on who is making the changes and what they are comfortable with.

Issue #2
    Is this with 0.93 or the 1.0 beta?
    Issue #2: Working in 0.93.

Issue #1
    Managing it through nav.php would be ideal, but the admin will make too many changes and wouldn't be able to do that.

Question?
    I have thought about upgrading to 1.0 beta, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I am afraid it might break the site with all of the changes that have been made thus far. How do you feel I should go about handling the upgrade?
    It depends on your implementation and customizations, but in general these are the steps and things to look out for:

1. First step would be to download from the 1.0 branch and place it in a separate testing folder:
    https://github.com/daylightstudio/FUEL-CMS/tree/1.0

2. Read the install page and configure accordingly. I'd include downloading the latest 1.0 user guide as well:
    https://github.com/daylightstudio/FUEL-CMS-User-Guide-Module

3. Copy over all controllers, models, helpers and views and database config to their corresponding locations in the new 1.0 testing folder.

4. Copy over MY_fuel.php, MY_fuel_modules.php and MY_fuel_layouts.php. MY_fuel_layouts.php may require a slight change which the user guide should point out under the Layouts area. You must change all field names to exist under a "fields" key now.

5. All lookup tables like fuel_users_to_permissions and fuel_blog_posts_to_categories are now moved to a single table called fuel_relationships. So user permissions would need to be set up as well as any blog category associations. We don't have an upgrade script to do this yet.

Start there and see how far that gets you. If you are using GIT, you may want to setup FUEL as a remote repo. This will allow you to pull in further updates going forward.