Note the upgraded forum! If you are experiencing issues logging in, you may need to reset your password which should send an email. If the email doesn't arrive, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

Advanced Controller views v 1.0

edited February 2013 in Share
So, here we go again :)

What I have is an advanced module.
Works awesome through the CMS.

Now, I need to implement the front-end portion of it. Right now all I want to do is have the module's view file output some form information, but to start I just want it to output $vars['body'] = 'test'; to the view file in /modules/membership/views/membership.php

I can do that, no problem.

So, my issue comes with implementing the sites view files: /application/views/_layouts/main.php which includes /application/views/_blocks/header.php and footer.php

I can do that too.

What happens when I do that though is my Site Variables from the CMS don't transfer through, and neither do css($css) or js($js).

Here's my controller for my membership module controller:
<?php class Membership extends CI_Controller { public $view_location = 'membership'; function __construct() { parent::__construct(); } function index() // { $vars['body'] = 'test'; //$this->fuel->page->initialize(array('layout' => 'main')); //$this->load->module_library(FUEL_FOLDER, 'fuel_page', array('location' => 'membership')); //$this->fuel->page->add_variables($vars); $this->load->view('membership', $vars); //$this->fuel->pages->render('membership',$vars); } }

As you can see I've tried a few different things. Also, is using CI_Controller correct?

So that does ALMOST what I want, eventually I'll have portions of this module with various forms outputting to the view file which will be inline with the whole site.

Here's the view file I'm using in /modules/membership/views/membership.php:
<?php $this->load->module_view('app', '_blocks/header.php'); if (isset($form)) { // display any form content echo $form; } echo $body; // display any $body content echo 'membership'; $this->load->module_view('app', '_blocks/footer.php');

Seems pretty straightforward doesn't it?

Comments

• edited February 2013
    For the $js and $css variables to come through, you'll need to use $this->fuel->pages->render()... that pulls in the views/_variables/global.php file? Try adding the following:
    ... $vars['body'] = 'test'; $params['view_module'] = 'membership'; $this->fuel->pages->render('membership',$vars, $params);
  • edited February 2013
    Not sure what I'm missing, I added that, now I just get either a blank page with
    $this->fuel->pages->render('membership',$vars);
    or the following error when I include $params (as it says in the docs):
    Fatal error: Call to a member function call_hook() on a non-object in /home/eng51dev/public_html/restautrade/fuel/modules/fuel/libraries/Fuel_pages.php on line 758

The docs:
    $this->fuel->pages->render('$location', [$vars=array()], [$params=array()], ['$return'=FALSE])
  • edited 4:01PM
    Ahh, got it! (mostly), I added $vars['layout'] = 'main';

However, for some reason the $css and $js variables aren't defined still even with that code?

Though, I have full access to the Site Variables now which is awesome.
    I forgot to add the $params as the third parameter in my example above (have edited it). Are the $js and $css values declared in the views/_variables/global.php file?
    Yes, they are declared in the application/views/_variables/global.php file.
    I added ['js'] = array(); and ['css'] = array(); to the $vars array and that worked. But not sure why it's not pulling from application/views/_variables/global.php though.
    I believe if you create a fuel/modules/membership/views/_variables/global.php file with those values in it (perhaps just include the application folders), it should work. The reason is because the setting of the view_module variable affects where FUEL looks for the variable files.
    Yeah, that worked.
    What about including js files in the module js folder?
    I tried adding $vars['js'] = array('javascriptfile') but it tried adding it from the application folder.
    Try using $vars['js'] = array('membership' => 'javascriptfile');
    Perfect! Thanks :)