Note the upgraded forum! If you are experiencing issues logging in, you may need to reset your password which should send an email. If the email doesn't arrive, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

Can you help me understand something about variables?

Hi,

I'm trying to get to know FuelCMS and how variables are passed around between models, views, controllers etc.

I think I'm getting there, but I'm a bit puzzled about how the default 404 page works. In the 404 layout file it echoes fuel_var('heading') and fuel_var('body'), but I can't seem to find where these variables are set. There isn't a 404 controller or _variables file and these are not set in the global variables file, so where are the heading and body variables set for this layout?

Many thanks

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Hi,

they are helper functions from fuel_helper.php. Their parameters are fields from the layout files in application/config/MY_fuel_layouts.php, or failing that, any of that name / key in the array sent to views.
  • edited 9:01AM
    Thank you for your feedback, Gumster, but I'm still not clear where the values of these parameters for the 404 page are set. i.e. the value for fuel_var('heading') is "404 Page Not Found", but I cannot find a controller or values file where it is set to this value. Can you help?
    By default, the fuel/application/errors/error_404.php file, the same one CodeIgniter uses, is used to display the 404 error. However, there are a couple other ways to create the 404 error page:

1. Create a view file called "404_error". This will be used in conjunction with the fuel/application/views/_layouts/404_error.php layout file.
    2. Create a page in the CMS called "404_error". This too will use the fuel/application/views/_layouts/404_error.php layout file.

The variables for those pages are set either in the CMS and/or using the variables files.
    http://docs.getfuelcms.com/general/pages-variables
    Thank you!