Delimiter in basic type navigation

edited January 2011 in Feature Requests
I need generate this simple menu

Home | About Us | Services | Portfolio | Contact Us

with this simple html

<div class="bottom_menu">
<a href="#">Home</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="#">About Us</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="#">Services</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="#">Portfolio</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="#">Contact Us</a>
</div>

So, script

$vars['bottom_menu'] = fuel_nav(array(
'group_id' => 2,
'use_titles' => FALSE,
'container_tag' => '', // <div class="bottom_menu"> is placed in a view file as is
'item_tag' => '',
'delimiter' => '&nbsp;|&nbsp;'
));

makes anchors, but ignore delimiter. But why? I understand, that usually we use unordered lists for menus, but what about simple things? If i can change container_tag and item_tag, why i can't set up a delimiter? I think delimiter in basic type navigation can be usefull even for the list items. Look at this code for example:

<ul>
<li><a href="index.html">Home</a></li>
<li>&nbsp;|&nbsp;</li>
<li><a href="about-us.html">About Us</a></li>
<li>&nbsp;|&nbsp;</li>
<li><a href="services.html">Services</a></li>
<li>&nbsp;|&nbsp;</li>
<li><a href="portfolio.html">Portfolio</a></li>
<li>&nbsp;|&nbsp;</li>
<li><a href="contact-us.html">Contact Us</a></li>
</ul>

Here we have "<li>&nbsp;|&nbsp;</li>" as delimiter. Yes, it's strange realization of delimiters, but it is, what it is. And actually i have no time to make changes in every strange html and css.
So, please, add delimiter to the basic type of navigation. It will makes navigation more flexible.

Thank you.

p.s.: sorry for my English. In Russian I write without mistakes (believe me) :)

Comments

• edited 10:19PM
    Thanks for the input and we'll certainly consider it. We've run into that issue as well and our solution was to add a border-right to the li tags and add the appropriate padding. This left us without the need for any additional HTML. The only issue we've run into is getting the height of the vertical line to look correct. Usually a combination of line-height and height attributes will fix that (but not always). Also, there is a .first and .last class applied to the first and last opening tags which you can use to turn off the borders in those particular instances. Hope that helps.
  • edited January 2011
    Hello.
    I know how to fix it, but i have no time for fixes in a ready html-code (and especially in css) every time I've receive it from html-coder OR teach html-coder how to make delimiters correctly. I am talking about possibility to generate everything we need. Even with "additional HTML", but without any fixes.
    Just add delimiter, please. No more parameters and If statements needed.
    Make delimiter is empty by default and we will set up it when we need it (in bread crumbs, titles, etc.)
    I hope you understand me.
    Thank you.
  • edited 10:19PM
    This has been added in the 0.9.2 version