Fuel & Git

edited March 2012 in Modules
I'm looking to start new project based on Fuel and will be using Git to manage my code for the first time. I've done some reading and it seems possible to use two different repositories (FUEL's and my personal one) to manage the code using remote upstream and collab. So the end result would be that I can pull updates to the main FUEL code and push my application code changes separately. That way, I don't have to include the full FUEL code in my repository or have to manage FUEL updates manually.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get this setup initially? Or is this not possible with the way FUEL is setup? Any links or suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• edited 9:43AM
    What we normally will do is check out from GitHub the latest version of fuel and set it up as a remote repository. Then we add our application specific code and push to a separate project specific repo. So in short, we have one remote repo for FUEL to pull in updates and then another remote repo for our application to push/pull updates that are application specific. This allows us to pull in FUEL updates without having to manually integrate. However, their currently isn't a way to separate your code from FUEL's so you can have separate git repositories.
    Thanks - that's what I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure I set it up correctly.
  • edited March 2012
    I have an add-on question to this, and that is how do you see the changes made in Fuel before merging those changes into the application-specific repository?

I use git fetch and then merge, but I always feel a bit uncomfortable right before merging, because I haven't figured out how to show a comprehensive list of files that have changed to see if I need to make any app-specific overrides after the merge or not.

Any git tips on how to make that happen?

Erik
    I would love an answer to this as well. I'm guessing there's a slick git approach, but I don't know it.

For another CI-only project that I'm working on, I cloned the CI project in a separate directory, updated it to the latest version, and then ran a file-diff between the two system directories. I then just manually merged the changes.