Blog module group by issue 1055 error

edited August 2018 in Modules

Some Fuel sites I have migrated to a new server, and on at least 2 occasions (so far) the Blog module has hit errors regarding MySQL 1055 error (where MySQL is v5.7.23).

In the Blog users and posts models' common queries, there is only 1 column in the GROUP BY, but this is denied by the MySQL settings.

I fixed the errors using:

posts model _common_query()
$this->db->group_by([$this->_tables['blog_posts'].'.id', $this->_tables['blog_users'].'.display_name' ]);

and in users model _common_query():
$this->db->group_by([$this->_tables['fuel_users'].'.id', $this->_tables['blog_users'].'.id']);

Comments

• Can you run $this->debug_query() after it executes the query to output the raw SQL statement?

• Actually... that won't work if it's erring before that.

• It looks like it has something to do with the MySQL setting of "STRICT_TRANS_TABLES" (new one for me). I've pushed that fix to the blog module.

• edited August 2018

I was getting this specifically:
    Error Code: 1055. Expression #26 of SELECT list is not in GROUP BY clause and contains nonaggregated column 'display_name' which is not functionally dependent on columns in GROUP BY clause; this is incompatible with sql_mode=only_full_group_by

The expression number varied in each model instance .

It was new to me too - a new Cpanel / MySQL configuration default!?

• I came across the same error (MySQL 5.7)

Error in query (1055): Expression #16 of SELECT list is not in GROUP BY clause and contains nonaggregated column 'temp.posts_count' which is not functionally dependent on columns in GROUP BY clause; this is incompatible with sql_mode=only_full_group_by

with this query:

SELECT 
    authors.*, 
    CONCAT(first_name, " ", last_name) as name, 
    fuel_users.first_name, 
    fuel_users.last_name, 
    fuel_users.email, 
    fuel_users.user_name, 
    fuel_users.active as users_active, 
    `posts_count` FROM `authors` LEFT JOIN `fuel_users` ON `fuel_users`.`id` = `authors`.`fuel_user_id` 
    LEFT JOIN (
        SELECT COUNT(*) AS posts_count, 
        news.author_id 
        FROM news GROUP BY news.author_id
    ) AS temp ON `temp`.`author_id`= `fuel_users`.`id` WHERE `authors`.`fuel_user_id` = '1' 
    GROUP BY `fuel_users`.`id`, `authors`.`id` LIMIT 1

Which originated from this piece of code in my Authors_model (copied from blog module I believe)

function _common_query($display_unpublished_if_logged_in = NULL)
        {
            parent::_common_query($display_unpublished_if_logged_in);
            $this->db->select('authors.*, CONCAT(first_name, " ", last_name) as name, '.$this->_tables['fuel_users'].'.first_name, '.$this->_tables['fuel_users'].'.last_name, '.$this->_tables['fuel_users'].'.email, '.$this->_tables['fuel_users'].'.user_name, '.$this->_tables['fuel_users'].'.active as users_active', FALSE);
            $this->db->select('posts_count'); // for temp table to get posts count
            $this->db->group_by($this->_tables['fuel_users'].'.id, authors.id');
        }

function _common_joins()
        {

$this->db->join($this->_tables['fuel_users'], $this->_tables['fuel_users'].'.id = authors.fuel_user_id', 'left');
            $this->db->join('(SELECT COUNT(*) AS posts_count, news.author_id FROM news GROUP BY news.author_id) AS temp', 'temp.author_id= fuel_users.id', 'left'); 
        }

The solution, and this StackOverflow answer helped me to understand the problem, was adding temp.posts_count to the group by clause

$this->db->group_by($this->_tables['fuel_users'].'.id, authors.id, temp.posts_count');

I'll send a pull request on github.

• yes, but I got this error:

Error Number: 1055

Expression #16 of SELECT list is not in GROUP BY clause and contains nonaggregated column 'temp.posts_count' which is not functionally dependent on columns in GROUP BY clause; this is incompatible with sql_mode=only_full_group_by

SELECT authors.*, CONCAT(first_name, " ", last_name) as name, fuel_users.first_name, fuel_users.last_name, fuel_users.email, fuel_users.user_name, fuel_users.active as users_active, `posts_count` FROM `authors` LEFT JOIN `fuel_users` ON `fuel_users`.`id` = `authors`.`fuel_user_id` LEFT JOIN (SELECT COUNT(*) AS posts_count, news.author_id FROM news GROUP BY news.author_id) AS temp ON `temp`.`author_id`= `fuel_users`.`id` WHERE `authors`.`fuel_user_id` = '1' GROUP BY `fuel_users`.`id`, `authors`.`id` LIMIT 1

Filename: /fuel/modules/fuel/core/MY_Model.php

Line Number: 481

and adding , temp.posts_count solved it. And the error message is pointing out that "nonaggregated column 'temp.posts_count'" is the issue. I only had this problem on the live server where MySQL was configured more strict. Maybe it helps if someone else is coming across this.

Cheers.