Edit Pencil Issues

edited July 2016 in Modules
So I'm not sure how the edit pencil button is determined, but it seems to be a little inconsistent and causes layout issues.
I have a phone number and email address as a site variable. Putting the phone number as an HREF via TEL: and then again in the anchor itself causes two pencil editor buttons to be rendered: one before the anchor, for the href, and one inside the anchor before the anchor text.

However, the email, as plain text, has it's edit button rendered before it's containing div element. If the phone number is rendered as text the pencil edit button appears before the containing div element of the plain text phone number, just like the email.

It seems to be inconsistent where the pencil button is rendered. Also why "display: block", why not "inline-block" or even simply "inline", or even a single edit location for all of the content such as a modal (activated by a single button)? Block messes with the overall layout and while I know that only affects a user who's logged in with permission to edit the that content, my client is a graphics design and printing company who's not exactly very technical as they are more visual.

Comments

• edited 7:39AM
    One way around the placement of the arrows in situations where they may be visually off is to use the fuel_edit function instead of fuel_var to embed the variables. You can just embed the variables as a normal $my_var and place the fuel_edit function where you want it:
    http://docs.getfuelcms.com/general/inline-editing

Regarding display: block vs inline-block, to be honest, that code was written a long time ago when inline-block wasn't fully supported (IE 7 era).