MySqli problem: memory exhausted and can't edit php.ini

edited January 2015 in Modules
Hi, I am having the error
"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in codeigniter/database/drivers/mysqli/mysqli_result.php on line 152"

The line 152: return mysqli_fetch_assoc($this->result_id);

and I can't edit memory_limit within php.ini because I don't have permission on the server.

The table I am trying to access has more than 600.000 rows.

In the function list_items of the class Songs_model file I filter the select
$this->db->select('songs.id,songs.title', FALSE);
So It only brings two columns.

Any idea how can I avoid this error?
Thank you.

Comments

• edited 5:56PM
    What view is this error happening on? The list view? If so, what does your module model's list_items method look like (if you added one)?
    It all happens in my songs_model.php file.The class looks like this:
    class Songs_model extends Base_module_model { function __construct() { parent::__construct('songs'); } function list_items($limit = 10, $offset = NULL, $col = 'title', $order = 'ASC') { $this->db->select('songs.id,songs.title', FALSE); $data = parent::list_items($limit, $offset, $col, $order); return $data; } function form_fields($values = array()) { $fields = parent::form_fields($values); return $fields; } } class Song_model extends Data_record { }
    There should be a 5th parameter called $just_count (unless you are on a pre-1.0 version of FUEL), that should fix your problem. Try this:
    function list_items($limit = 10, $offset = NULL, $col = 'title', $order = 'ASC', $just_count = FALSE) { $this->db->select('songs.id,songs.title', FALSE); $data = parent::list_items($limit, $offset, $col, $order, $just_count); return $data; }
    Hello thank you, that solved the problem and the list appear on screen. BUT when I click on a item in the list to edit, it crashes again the same:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30 bytes) in /fuel/codeigniter/database/drivers/mysqli/mysqli_result.php on line 152

Is there a parameter or something that I need to put in a function before the "edit screen" loads?
    That error may be due to the "get_others" method on the model that returns a drop down of all the other records for easy navigation. Try adding this to your model:
    public function get_others($display_field, $id = NULL, $val_field = NULL) { return array(); }
    That almost solved the problem. After adding those lines, the screen goes white (but does not show the memory error).
    So I commented the lines of the $foreign_keys and then it worked again but of course I loose the foreign keys functionality. One of the foreign keys tries to load in the combo a huge number of rows.
    Is there an easy way to load the foreign keys "on demand"? or for example load only 100 and then load via ajax?
    Thank you.
    You can add a where and order parameter to the foreign keys, however, it doesn't have a limit parameter:
    public foreign_keys = array('my_foreign_key' => array('my_model', 'where' => 'type = "my_type"', 'order' => 'desc');
    To add a limit, you can use active record before calling the form_fields parent like so:
    public function form_fields($values = array(), $related = array()) { $CI =& get_instance(); $CI->load->model('my_foreign_model'); $CI->my_foreign_model->db()->limit(10); $fields = parent::form_fields($values, $related); .... return $fields; }

Or, you could override the options_list method on your foreign model. By default, the options for the field are generated by $CI->$model->options_list(NULL, NULL, $where, $order);