Connecting Tables in the Admin

edited December 2014 in Modules
I have 3 tables, products, products_to_categories, and categories. When I add a new product via the admin, I want to have the ability to add and save the categories that that the products belong to. I am having a brain freeze about what I need to do to make this happen. I went through the documentation and well as looking through the blog module but nothing is triggering that "oh, this is what I need to do". Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited 7:30AM
    FUEL has a built in relationships table that it uses for it's has_many and belongs_to relationships. This means you won't need a products_to_categories table. However, you can set your model to save to a different table (which requires 5 fields, one for each table and column it is saving to plus the ID field). The documentation has more here:
    http://docs.getfuelcms.com/general/models#relationships
    Thanks. This is exactly the push in the right direction that I need. Jumping between applications and frameworks and such sometimes throws me into a tailspin and I just need a little assistance on getting out of it.
    It seems that if I multiple items in the has_many array and each item uses a different association table (already had the tables and just added the extra fields to each table to save time so I didnt need to update all the spots in the code where changes would need to be made), it doesn't recognize the different association tables. Example, if one has_many item uses the products_to_categories table and the other uses products_to_sciences table, only the values from the products_to_categories table is being pulled and those values are being associated not only to the products_to_categories table but to the products_to_sciences table as well. I double/tripled/quadrupled check to make sure they were configured differently too in the has_many array too. Does this make sense?
    Do you have some example code to try and replicate the problem. Also, are you needing your own relationships tables or can you just use the default fuel_relationships table?