FuelCMS with eCommerce third-party systems

edited February 2014 in Modules
Has anyone ever used Fuel with a third-party eCommerce system such as Magento? We're building a site and it'll need some seriously robust store functionality. We didn't want to have to recreate the wheel if at all possible.

Comments

• edited 6:23PM
    I haven't heard of anyone integrating those two together. It may be better to look at CodeIgniter based shopping cart systems to try an integrate somehow but to be honest, I don't think it would be very straight forward (see link below for someone trying to integrate Go Cart):
    http://forum.getfuelcms.com/discussion/comment/2952#Comment_2952
    I used Flexi cart. It wasn't easy though, and you have to build your own admin module pretty much. With more time, it could be a excellent solution.
    I don't know if I've seen Flexi cart. Looks like it could be a good solution for an advanced module which it sounds like you built.
    Gumster, what were some of the specific headaches you had to deal with on Flexi cart. It looks like a decent starting point for eCommerce. Did you think it was better than a customer built solution from scratch?
    I can't say there were headaches - the documentation for Flexicart, and the thinking that underlie it are sound. It was just having to integrate it into an advanced module that was laboursome. Flexicart prides itself on not dictating a product table, it can fit anything pretty much, so I ended up with a "simple" module for the products and product categories, with Flexicart as an advanced module. This gave me 2 means of editing product items, which wasn't ideal in some respects. Really, the problems I had were of my own making, as the admin examples for Flexicart are just that (examples), but due to time and budget constraints, I ended up implementing them verbatim, albeit inside Fuel.

Second time round, I'd be less anxious about preserving the example admin functionality, and focus on what I wanted from Flexicart for the project. I needed to see the statue inside the block of marble better!